February 20, 2011

The Definition of Fandom

fandom: noun \ˈfan-dəm\: the state of being a fan or all that encompasses fan culture and fan behavior in general, or the study of fans and fan behavior.

I have this argument pretty much once a month with friends and family. Why are you a fan of _________ team? Of all the topics I've brought up, I fully expect this one to generate the most grief... and I welcome it. I'd love to hear you justify your fan decisions!

First off, I present THE THREE major explanations...
  1. Geographic Location
  2. They wear "pretty" jerseys/logos
  3. You're a front runner
A 4th reason has been gaining some steam: "My parent/guardian was a fan and brought me up that way." I'll buy it, but for the purposes of this article I'm not going to address it. And to be fair, my 3 major explanations apply to team fandom only. There are dozens of reasons to like certain players. (style of play, alma mater, etc.) but one player should never dictate your overall fandom.

The first reason is obvious. You root for the team that is closest to your geographic location. This location is most always dictated by where you spent your "formidable" years growing up. If you relocate as an adult, chances are you will (and SHOULD) maintain fandom for the team you grew up with. Up until recently, this was really the only option out there for fans. Before ESPN, the internet, and sports packages, the only games you had media access to were games played in your own back yard. If you live in the midwest where teams are sparse, fanhood may be a bit challenging. This is typically where you find people resorting to one of the other two explanations.

The second reason has grown in popularity over the last decade. It seems like every time a new team enters a league, the owners choose jerseys and logos designed to make fashion statements. The purple of the Colorado Rockies, the turquoise of the Jacksonville Jaguars, and the bright blue of the Charlotte Hornets all led to substantial merchandise sales. Hell, I had a Hornets Christmas ornament and a Carolina Panthers pennant on my wall growing up because my mom liked the blue color they used. And that right there is really the point of this explanation. Fans like this typically like their team because their cap matches their shoes or because they saw a baby doll t-shirt that was just too cute to pass up. It's a fugazi reason, but with Lids selling hats in every size, shape, color, and style for every team to exist, being a Yankees fan because your cap matches your pumas is a disturbing trend.

But the one that takes the cake is being a front runner. Front Runner fans typically have no association with the team other than the fact that they latched onto the bandwagon at a high point. Fans in their mid 20s that love the Cowboys or 49ers but live in Philadelphia likely latched on when Joe Montana/Steve Young and Troy Aikman were winning Super Bowls by the handfuls. To save face, some of these types of fans will stick with their team long after the champion "ship" has set sail. While this is somewhat admirable, your fandom still has tainted roots. Naturally, these types of fans hate being called front runners. They often try to defend their choice in team, but I've yet to hear a valid argument. Their counterparts, however, are the worst of the worst. Guys who jump ship on a regular basis give a bad name to all fans. Similar to the cockroach, these bandwagoners show up when times are good, but crawl back into their hole when the going gets tough. They are the loudest and proudest fans when their team is successful but oddly silent when their team is 10 games below .500 (See: Mets, Cowboys, Devils, etc.).

So what's wrong with being a front runner? It's too easy. It's easy to associate yourself with the best team in the game... or the richest team... or the one with the most money/best players. Front runners don't suffer the same ups and downs as those who link themselves geographically. I'm from Philadelphia and I'm a 4 for 4 fan. I'm stuck with the Phillies/Eagles/Sixers/Flyers through thick and thin. While there have been some highs for these teams in recent years, much of my formidable years in the 90s were miserable. It would have been easy for me to latch onto a champion and for brief moments I did. I let my Frank Thomas fanhood sway me too far into Chicago White Sox territory. I got caught up in the yearly Super Bowl hype that I once found myself rooting for the Cowboys to win (I'm as ashamed of myself as you likely are of me). But by the time my teens were wrapping up, the rules became clear. There are three reasons to be a fan. Ask yourself, "which category do I belong to?"

2 comments: