February 28, 2011

Should I Keep Mark Teixeira?

So I've been dragging my feet on this topic for weeks now... In the fantasy baseball league that I care most about, we've implemented the "keeper" rule.

Now since I pimped the last few days of the season, most of my eligible players are middle of the roaders who just happened to have double headers on the final weekend of the season. However, I do still have Mark Teixeira. Which brings me to my question... Is he Keeper worthy?

I drafted him with the 24 overall pick last year and I thought it was a steal. He had a terrible year, but still outperformed almost everyone else taken in the 20s. The way I look at it this year, 1st basemen rank like this:

  1. Albert Pujols - Obviously
  2. Miguel Cabrera - So long as he lays off the bottle
  3. Mark Teixeira - 1st half or 2nd half?
  4. Adrian Gonzalez - New team in a friendly stadium
  5. Joey Votto - Can he repeat?
  6. Ryan Howard - Still waiting for the bat to leave his shoulders...
  7. Prince Fielder - if you haven't noticed, he's overweight.
  8. Kendry Morales - broke a leg.
  9. Paul Konerko - career year?
  10. Ike Davis, Billy Butler, Justin Morneau, etc
The first 6 have proven that they can put up numbers even if they have bad seasons. None of them are locks for the 5th tool (SB). So I ask you, the loyal reader(s) of my website... is it worth wasting my keeper pick on Mark Teixeira? The alternative is taking a supplemental pick between the 1st and 2nd round. 

Give a man some feedback!

2 comments:

  1. Well, in a 5x5 head to head league, Tex should go in the early second round (picks 10-15). Last year only his BA was below his normal range. His good 2nd half last year shows promise for this year to fully rebound with his average.

    Also on your list, I would have a healthy Morneau as basically the same as Howard and above Prince. But who knows if/when he comes back from his concussion. You can tell he never played in the NFL. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I opted to go with him... originally I was leaning toward the depth at the position as a reason to let 1st base slide, but with a couple other positions so low on depth, I'd prefer to lock down an elite guy at 1st, then use my early picks on IF and OF.

    ReplyDelete