March 29, 2011

Phils Spicing Up the On-Deck Series


First, that's a pretty sweet SI cover. Hard to believe that up until about 3 years ago, the Phillies had only graced the cover of SI about a half dozen times. I'm struggling to find the info to back that up so you'll just have to take my word on it... 2nd year in a row for Doc.

Anyway, I'm surprisingly excited about tonight's game. A co-worker handed me some pretty nice seats for free. If you don't have a set of your own, a cool 89 cents should get you in the gate. What makes this on-deck series so special?
"The Phillies On-Deck Series features a spring-training like atmosphere filled with plenty of prizes and surprises! Both games include a mini-fan appreciation day, unique player and alumni interactions with fans, merchandise specials, entertainment, and more!"
I don't really know what that means, though it's been suggested that certain active and former players may be meandering around the concourse doing a little meet and greet with the fans. I wouldn't mind rubbing elbows with a few Phils while standing in line for crab fries.

Other things to look forward to:
  • Roy Oswalt throws today. I'd expect to see him stretched out for about 5 innings.
  • Luis Castillo will almost certainly see significant playing time.
  • New video board and 800+ new TVs.
  • New food stands.
  • Complete remodel to the Majestic Store.
44 Degrees an Sunny for the first pitch. Not exactly the shorts and t-shirt weather we had for Opening Day in DC last year, but I've had a blast at games with far worse weather (see: Game 3, 2008 World Series). I realize I'm psyching myself up for a meaningless game, but unless one of you wants to send your favorite blogger to Friday's game on your dime, I'm going to have to settle for meaningless baseball this week!

2 comments:

  1. I sent my favorite blogger some tickets for opening day like you said to do, no word yet whether or not Buster Olney will be attending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While you think that's a dig at me, you're really just insulting Buster Olney by calling him a lowly blogger!

    ReplyDelete