April 20, 2011

Breakfast Time Link Dump!

In an effort to make these links a little more enjoyable, I'm going to be adding a little more commentary to each blurb than I have in the past. Nice suggestion, Greg!

  • In Judgement Day news, a couple of nerds from U Penn developed a robot capable of throwing out the first pitch at the Phillies game last night. Part of me wants to make a joke about Skynet, but the more I think about it the less impressed I am. Really? A Penn education and a baseball throwing robot is the best you got? I'm pretty sure this very same robot came as an erector set when my dad was a kid and he never got to display it at a Phillies game. Ridiculous. 

  • In response to my commentary on pistachio girl, the legendary Photographer N. shared with me a link to a friend of his' blog that takes us on a trip in the way back machine to the Phillies vendor days of 1977. Sodas for $.80 and 2 hot dogs on 1 bun! Clearly I was born in the wrong generation!

  • You've probably seen this Keenan Cahill on YouTube before, but now he's rocking out with Brian Wilson and Cody Ross of the San Francisco Giants. I want to hate Brian Wilson because of that ridiculous beard, but damn do I wish that beard was pitching for my team. Videos like this make him hard to hate, check it out:
     


    • Listeners of the ESPN Fantasy Focus podcast are aware of a certain theory they call "The Wandy Line." Basically, it's an arbitrary line in the rankings after which a starting pitcher isn't really worth keeping on your roster all season. Tristan Cockcroft ranked his top 100 pitchers today and I'd honestly have to say that anyone after Matt Garza isn't worth holding onto. "The Garza Line" just doesn't have that same ring to it. 

    • Speaking of ESPN, the E60 piece they did on Carl Crawford this week was pretty interesting. The guy grew up in the slum of all slums, was discovered by Michael Bourn's dad and went on to become a regional MVP in Football, Basketball, and Baseball. He was good enough at football to get a scholarship to the University of Nebraska and he was drafted in the 2nd round by the Devil Rays. He was such a speedster in High School that he set records for stolen bases and didn't get caught once in his four years of school. He seems incredibly humble for such an amazing success story. 

    • Cincinnati Reds pitcher Mike Leake was arrested the other day for stealing shirts from a Macy's Department store. In another article I read, it says he stole 6 shirts valued at $59.88. I make a decent living but it's still not in the same ballpark as Mike Leake. That said, even the cheapest T-shirt that I own cost about $10. I didn't even know Macys sold shirts for less than $10 each. I'm not even sure you can get a package of 6 Michael Jordan approved Hanes Undershirts for under $60! What the hell are you wearing, Leake? 

    • Want an autograph of the 2010 Yankees including Joe Girardi, Derek Jeter, CC Sabathia, Mark Teixeira, Mariano Rivera, Phil Hughes, Curtis Granderson, Brett Gardner, Dave Robertson, Jorge Posada, Chad Gaudin, and Robinson Cano? Looking for s stylish new pair of high heels to wear on a night out on the town with the man of your dreams? Well then, do I have the link for you! Seriously... it's an ebay auction and it's a for a good cause! 

    • I mentioned it in something similar a few weeks back, but I just read today that the Los Angeles United Film Festival will be showing the Ballhawks movie about the guys who stand in the street outside Wrigley Field narrated by Bill Murray. These guys are pretty crazy, and as much as I bashed the idea last week, I'm officially adding "Ballhawk at Wrigley" to my baseball bucket list. It's right up there with "Kayak in McCovey Cove," "Visit the Field of Dreams," and "Attend a Phillies Induction to the Hall of Fame." 

    • Easter is this Sunday... feel free to buy me this in lieu of dyed eggs or chocolate bunnies.

        1 comment:

        1. I bet johhny 5 would throw a first pitch strike through ruiz's glove causing a fireball to take off his hand. On a nerd related note, speaking of johhny 5 l, there is a new edition of the short circuit series set to debut in thearres this year.

          ReplyDelete